Sunday 15 August 2010

Life

I thought I'd lost my best friend today.

I got a phone call from her daughter to say that she'd had a heart attack - a massive one - and I just thought 'She's gone'. After all, she lives on whiskey and cigarettes and is in her eighties... For one horrible, horrible moment I was in shock.  

Then her daughter told me what ward she was in, etc... and I was so relieved. I burst into tears when I put the phone down, and realised that I have never actually told her just how much she means to me.

I visited her in hospital this evening and she looked better than I expected. She was her usual feisty self, and seemed more concerned about the possibility of missing a tv programme on Wednesday than about having had a heart attack.

I love her to bits. I'm so very grateful that she is still in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment